Saturday

Details, Details, Details


On this cake, I wanted to make it as authentic in detail as I could.  I used a reference book and pictures.  I like to use buttercream icing, it's more pliable, and personally I think its easier to use than the fondant that alot of decorators use.  To me, fondant is more like clay, and I never was good at modeling from clay.  It also taste like clay....but that's just me.

I also used a reference book for this next cake, and again, pay attention to the detail.  I used gold and silver dragee's and bright bold colors.  If you're going to make something Native American, don't use pastels, unless specifically asked to use pastels.  Native american colors are 99.99% bright and bold.

The cake below is depicting straight dancers, traditional dancer, and Osage woman dancer.  Not all dancers dress like this.  That is one thing that make the Native American Dancers unique from each other.






The cake below is a pair of moccasins.  I also used several borders in coordinating colors to bring the entire cake together.  Nothing looks more pitiful than a cake with one or two borders only.  It makes the cake decorator look lazy and cheap.  They don't want to do to much work, or use too much icing because it cost extra.  It doesn't take more than a minute to put each extra border on the cake and it makes a big difference.  You will see as you go, I mean that each border comes together to frame your main work as you go.  It's best to make your middle piece first and work your way out. 





This cake above could probably be a generic Indian cake, but again depending on the tribe, you might want to do some research before you go putting a TeePee village on a cake for an Eskimo.

Below is another ribbonwork cake with poinsettas and pinecones and hollyberries.  Again you can see another way to use the ribbonwork design.




1 comment:

  1. Anonymous13:13

    wow your cakes are beautiful. I am also first nations and in the cake business i haven't made any native american cakes yet but i would like to try..my first one will be done in february and i hope it turns out as beautiful as yours

    ReplyDelete

Wedding Sheet Cakes

These are all full sheet cakes with and without toppers.  Except for the cake with the edible photo on it, which is a half sheet ...